Associate Professor Isabella Dobrescu has excelled in the Education space at all levels, from her performance in the classroom to her role in designing and modernising courses across a variety of subjects and her award winning work in the sphere of technology enabled teaching innovations.
Together with Alberto Motta, Isabella is currently working on creating the world’s first MIICs – Massive Immersive Interactive Courses. It all started with Playconomics, a videogame that proved to be a game changer in teaching first year Economics. Today Playconomics has become an award-winning experiential learning platform used to design courses that teach Medicine, Engineering and Business all across Australia.
The heart of everything she does in the education space, however, remains research. She is currently conducting several evaluation studies on 'what works' in education, providing insights into ways to address the challenges of modern higher education.
Isabella is a Deputy Director of the Scientia Education Academy (July 2019 - present).
- Fun in Education [with Motta, Holden and Wong]
- (Step Up 1A) The performance effect of providing real-time ranking feedback: Lessons from an RCT [with Motta, Chen and Foster]
- (Step Up 2A) Fifty shades of online: Results from a randomized evaluation of post-secondary education [with Motta, French and Lim]
- Ranking, feedback and performance: Evidence from a Randomized Control Trial [with Faravelli, Megalokonomou & Motta]
- The predictive power of Big Data in Education: A Machine Learning approach [with Motta and Scriven]
School level contribution
- School of Economics Learning & Teaching Committee, UNSW (2014 - present)
Faculty level contributions
- UNSW Business School 2020 Strategy Committee for Student Experience/Outcomes Priority, UNSW (2014 - present)
- UNSW Business School Pre-Business Program for Indigenous Students, UNSW (2010 – present)
UNSW level contributions
- UNSW Scientia Education Academy
- Member of the Vice-Chancellor's Awards for Teaching Excellence Committee (2016)