Along with the Activities block, the Course Menu block is a very useful tool for navigating within a course. You can customise it to contain particular parts of the course that you access regularly, listed in a particular order. You can also use it to organise course topics into chapters and sub-chapters.
Step by step instructions
You add the course menu block in the same way as any other block.
Once the block is added, configure it as follows:
- On the course home page, if you are not already in edit mode, click Turn editing on .
- In the Course Menu block, click the Configure dropdown and select Configure Course Menu block.
- On the Configuring a Course Menu block page, below Block general settings:
- Select how you want link text to be trimmed if it exceeds the nominated character length. (When you link to a topic, this block uses the topic summary title as the link text.)
- Enter the maximum character length for link text in this block.
- Select whether you want the topics to be formatted as an Expandable Tree. If you select Yes, the expandable tree will be auto-created as you add resources or activities to each course topic/week. A folder icon displays next to the topic link, with a plus sign, which the user clicks to display the list of links to the resources and activities within the topic. In a content-heavy course, this is a fast and easy way for students and staff to access materials without having to scroll.
- If you wish to activate chapter grouping, below Chapters, click Activate Chapter Grouping. The default chapter grouping displays.
- Enter the Number of chapters into which you want the course topics grouped, and click Change.
- A warning message will display. Click OK. The chapter grouping table will display with the nominated number of chapters.
- Move topics from chapter to chapter, if necessary, using the up and down arrows.
- Below Elements:
- Click the closed-eye icon for each element you want to include in the block. The icon will be replaced by an open-eye icon .
- Click the up or down arrows to change the order in which the elements display.
- If you wish to add custom links, below Links, click Activate Custom Links.
- For each custom link:
- Enter a link Name.
- Complete the link URL, including any prefix.
- Select whether users will view the linked material in the same or a new Window.
- Select the appropriate Icon to display next to the link.
- Select the check boxes according to how you want the linked material to display.
- If necessary, change the Default window width/height.
- Below Where this block appears:
- Select what page types you want the block to display on.
- Select the Default weight (position in relation to the other blocks) you want the block to have.
- Below On this page:
- Select whether you want the block to be Visible on the page where you are creating it.
- Select the Weight you want the block to have on this page.
- Click Save changes.