This page presents instructions and tips for creating an assignment in Moodle that doesn't involve students submitting online text or uploading submission files.
You would do this when you wanted to provide information about the assignment for students via a link on the Moodle course home page, but conduct that assignment outside Moodle - for example, if you wanted to mark students on a face-to-face presentation to the class.
Setting up an assignment in this way also creates a grade item in the Gradebook so that the offline assignment can be marked there, and feedback entered, or feedback files uploaded for delivery to students with their marks using the Moodle interface.
Create an offline assignment
Follow the instructions for creating a new assignment, making sure that:
- On the Add a new assignment page, in the Submission types section, at Submission types, both the File submissions and Online text check boxes are de-selected.
- Under Feedback types, select the kinds of feedback you want to be able to deliver using the Moodle interface. You may want to enable an Offline grading worksheet so that you can download and upload a worksheet with student grades when marking the assignments.
- Create and Manage Assignments in Moodle - if you want to create an assignment involving submissions
- Customise the Gradebook - to create a grade item in the Gradebook without creating an assignment at all
- Export Grades from Moodle Gradebook and Import Grades from Excel to Moodle - for instructions on marking assignments offline