This page contains instructions to help you export a Gradebook report, download the grades or responses for a single quiz, enter grades in a downloaded spreadsheet and re-import grades into the Gradebook
When to use
This process is useful when you have a large quantity of assignments to mark, if your in-Moodle marking is likely to be disrupted by a poor Internet connection, or if you want a bit more control over the format of your marking sheet.
The export/reimport process minimises the likelihood of your losing your data mid-marking. It is also more accurate than entering each grade individually in the Gradebook, especially for big classes.
To avoid syntax errors during the export–import process, ensure that each activity has had a column created for it in the Gradebook before you export marks, edit and reimport them.
Step by step instructions
- Export a Gradebook report
- Download the grades or responses for a single quiz
- Enter grades in a downloaded spreadsheet
- Re-import grades into the Gradebook
To export the User Report from the Gradebook:
Within your Moodle course, in the Settings block, click Gradebook setup.
In the Gradebook, in the Settings block, under Grade administration, click Export, and select the format in which you want the Gradebook exported.
On the Export page, make the appropriate selections for this export operation. This will mean selecting:
- Grade items to be included
- which participants to include (if you have set up groups)
- whether to Include feedback in export
- whether to include students in the export whose enrolment has not been suspended (Require active enrolment)
- Grade export display type
- Grade export decimal points
When you have made your selections, click Download.
- If asked, click open or save the downloaded file.
To download a single quiz's grades or student responses:
- Click Turn editing on at the top right of the page .
On the course home page, navigate to the quiz and click Edit settings from the dropdown menu.
In the Settings block, select Results > Grades or Results > Responses, depending on what you want to download.
From the drop down menu and checkboxes choose the options that meets your requirements.
Select a file type from the dropdown menu and click Download.
If necessary, click Open or Save as desired, and click OK.
- Open the saved Excel spreadsheet.
Enter the grades in the appropriate columns. Note:
- Do not change any existing column names.
- You can add new columns for offline activities, and enter grades in them.
- Save the file as a Comma Separated Values (comma delimited, .csv) file.
Re-import grades into the Gradebook
Click here for instructions on how to import/upload grades.
If you experience technical or other issues, consult the Where to get help page.