This page contains instructions to help you export a Gradebook report, download the grades or responses for a single quiz, enter grades in a downloaded spreadsheet and re-import grades into the Gradebook
When to use
This process is useful when you have a large quantity of assignments to mark, if your in-Moodle marking is likely to be disrupted by a poor Internet connection, or if you want a bit more control over the format of your marking sheet.
The export/reimport process minimises the likelihood of your losing your data mid-marking. It is also more accurate than entering each grade individually in the Gradebook, especially for big classes.
To avoid syntax errors during the export–import process, ensure that each activity has had a column created for it in the Gradebook before you export marks, edit and reimport them.
Step by step instructions
- Export a Gradebook report
- Download the grades or responses for a single quiz
- Enter grades in a downloaded spreadsheet
- Re-import grades into the Gradebook
To export the User Report from the Gradebook:
- Within your Moodle course, in the Settings block, click Grades.
- In the Gradebook, in the Settings block, under Grade administration, click Export, and select the format in which you want the Gradebook exported.
- On the Export page, make the appropriate selections for this export operation. This will mean selecting:
- Grade items to be included
- which participants to include (if you have set up groups)
- whether to Include feedback in export
- whether to include students in the export whose enrolment has not been suspended (Require active enrolment)
- Grade export display type
- Grade export decimal points
- When you have made your selections, click Download.
- If asked, click open or save the downloaded file.
To download a single quiz's grades or student responses:
- Click Turn editing on at the top right of the page.
- On the course home page, navigate to the quiz and click Edit settings from the drop-down menu.
- In the Settings block, select Results > Grades or Results > Responses, depending on what you want to download.
- From the drop down menu and checkboxes choose the options that meets your requirements.
- Select a file type from the dropdown menu and click Download.
- Open the saved Excel spreadsheet.
- Enter the grades in the appropriate columns. Note:
- Do not change any existing column names.
- You can add new columns for offline activities, and enter grades in them.
- Save the file as a Comma Separated Values (comma delimited, .csv) file.
Re-import grades into the Gradebook
Click here for instructions on how to import/upload grades.
If you experience technical or other issues, consult the Where to get help page.