You may want to add feedback to grades, for example for a short-answer quiz—this feedback may be as simple as letting students know whether they have passed or failed the final exam.
This page shows you how to create and use a text column for feedback.
Step by step instructions
- In the Gradebook, Create a grade item of the type Text (this will create a column in which you can place your comments).
Once the grades have been entered for the final exam, either automatically or manually, export them as an Excel spreadsheet. Ensure that on the Export\Excel spreadsheet page you:
- in the Options section, select the Include feedback in export check box
- in the Grade items to be included section, select the check box for the column you created in step 1.
- Open the spreadsheet in Excel. Add your comment to each student's row in the new column, e.g. "Final Pass/Fail (Feedback)". Take care not to include any commas in the text you enter.
- Save the spreadsheet as a CSV file.
- Upload the CSV file to the Gradebook, choosing Comma as the Separator. On the Import preview page, ensure that you complete the Grade item mappings section correctly to include your feedback in the upload.
- Click Upload grades.
- When the Grade import success message displays, click Continue.
- In the Gradebook, view an individual student's User Report to check that the feedback displays.