A Moodle label is non-link text, such as a heading or a description of a resource, that displays in the content list within a course home page section (week or topic). The example below shows a very simple labelling system, 3 headings all at the same level.
This page instructs you on how to add labels to your course home page sections.
When to use
Add labels when they will clearly indicate to your students how the resources and activities in a course week or topic are organised.
Adding labels helps students make sense of the Moodle course organisation. It can divide a confusing or intimidating list of links into digestible chunks that a student feels comfortable approaching.
Step by step instructions
Create a label
- Click Turn editing on at the top right of the page.
- In the appropriate section, click Add a resource or activity, scroll down and select Label from the pop-up list and click Add.
- On the Adding a new Label page, enter Label text, click Show editing tools (if collapsed) and format the text appropriately (i.e. it should be a larger than, and a different colour from, the resource and activity links. Add a resource (e.g. an image or embedded media) if necessary.
- Complete any other appropriate fields for this label, then click Save and return to course. The label (and resource link, if you created one) displays as the last item in the section.
- Once the label is created:
- To move the label up into position in the list, click and drag its Move icon .
- To indent the label in the section’s content list, click the Move Right icon .
- To edit the label, click the Update icon .
If you experience technical or other issues, consult the Where to get help page.