StudentQuiz is a Moodle activity which can be used to allow students to contribute to a pool of questions related to the course.
The following page contains instructions to help you create and moderate a StudentQuiz activity in Moodle.
Additional information is also published on the developers site here.
Use StudentQuiz if you wish to allow students to contribute questions to a quiz set up for the course.
The StudentQuiz activity enables students to collaboratively create a quiz for the course with many question types. The quiz can be configured to award points to students for contribution and instructors have the ability to moderate the questions.
- On the Moodle course home page, in the relevant section, create Add an activity or resource, select StudentQuiz from the list and click Add.
- On the Adding a new StudentQuiz page, click Expand all at the top right of the page.
- In the General section, enter a Student Quiz Name, and a Description if necessary.
- Under Ranking settings:
- Tick the checkbox for Make students anonymous if you wish to prevent students from seeing the name of the person who posted the question.
- Tick the checkbox for Publish new questions if you wish to automatically publish new questions.
- At Created question factor, enter the points a student would receive for creating a question.
- At Approved question factor, enter the points a student would receive for having their question approved.
- At Rating factor, enter the points a student would receive for each star in their question's rating.
- At Latest correct answer factor, enter the points for each correct answer on the student's last attempt.
- At Latest wrong answer factor, enter the points for each wrong or partially wrong answer on the student's last attempt.
- At Exclude roles in ranking, select the roles you would like to be hidden from the rankings. These roles can still participate in the activity normally.
- Under Question settings:
- Select the Allowed question types.
- Tick the checkbox for Enforce rating if you wish to require students to rate a question right after answering the question for the first time.
- Tick the checkbox for Enforce commenting if you wish to require students to comment a question.
- Complete the other sections as required, then click Save and display to add questions to the quiz.
- On the course home page, with editing turned on, click the link for the StudentQuiz.
- On the quiz's home page, click Create new question.
- From the list, select a question type for the question, and click Add.
- On the Adding a question page, select a Category, a Question name, Question text, Default mark, and other sections as necessary. Then click Save changes.
Preview a question
To preview a student's question:
- Next to the question in the table of questions, that you wish to preview, click on the Preview icon .
Edit a question
To edit a student's question:
- Next to the question in the table of questions, that you wish to edit, click on the Edit icon.
- Edit the question as required.
Delete a question
To delete a student's question:
- Next to the question that you wish to delete, click on the Delete icon.
You may already have a set of questions pre prepared and wish to add them in a StudentQuiz question pool. StudentQuiz allows the import of questions in a variety of Moodle formats.
- Navigate to your StudentQuiz activity and select Settings > Question Bank > Import
- Choose the file format of the file you are intending on uploading and click Import.
Alternatively, should you wish to export the question pool to a compatible file for re-use in another quiz or application.
- Navigate to your StudentQuiz activity and select Settings > Question Bank > Export
- Choose the file formate you wish to export to, select the appropriate category where the questions are categorised and click Export questions to file.