The Completion Progress block is a useful time management tool for students, allowing students to track past and upcoming tasks from the course homepage. Staff can also compare the progress of students through the course and can use the tool to quickly determine who is engaged or who may need additional support.
Students and staff can hover the mouse over an individual bar to see which activity/resource it presents, as well as it's particular deadline and completion requirements. Clicking on a particular bar will take the staff/student directly to the activity/resource.
Example of completion requirements that an instructor may wish set is whether a resource has been viewed by a specific date, or whether a specific assignment has been submitted. These depend on which activity/resource is being monitored.
It is possible to create one completion progress block to monitor one set of activities, for example a series of weekly quizzes, and additional completion progress blocks for other purposes, such as completion of required readings or assignment submissions. Each completion progress block can be named appropriately based on requirement.
Note: The Completion Progress block replaces the previous Progress Bar block. The Progress Bar block will remain active in previous courses which have already used it. However, it should not be added to new courses. If your course has been rolled over with the old Progress Bar block, please raise a ticket with the IT Service Centre.
Note: The Completion Progress block will only be tracking progress if Completion tracking is enabled in the course. To enable Completion tracking, go to Course Administration > Edit settings > Completion tracking > Enable completion tracking.
To configure the Completion Progress block:
- Login to Moodle, open your course, and click the "Turn editing on" button.
- Using the "Add a block" block on the left hand side, add the "Completion Progress block".
- To control which activities will be monitored in the block, and configure other block settings, click on the Edit icon in the block and select Configure Completion Progress block.
- The Block settings can be used to control the display of the block. For example:
- Order bar by: By default, Completion Progress bar items are displayed in order of "Expected completion" dates. This can be changed instead to order activities by their "Ordering in course". For example a week 0 activity would be displayed ahead of a week 1 activity.
- How to present long bars: Choose how bars that exceed a set length should be displayed.
- Use icons in bar: By default, progress is shown by red, blue or green colour changes. Icons can be used as well, enhancing clarity for staff/students with colour blindness.
- Show percentage to students: If desired, the successfully completed percentage of the course activities/resource can be displayed.
- Alternate title: Use this to change the name of the Completion Progress block. For example, if you were planning on using two instances of the block to track different resources/activities.
- Activities included: By default all activities with Activity completion settings set are included in the Completion Progress block. This can also be changed to use Selected activities.
- Select activities: If you set Activities included in the Block Settings to 'Selected Activities', then select which activities you want the Completion Progress Bar to monitor. Note: Hold the Control/Command key to select more than one activity.
- Once all activities have been configured for monitoring, scroll to the bottom and click save.
The Completion Progress block displays the current user's progress within the course. This is quite useful for students for their learning experience, and useful for staff when they wish to test how the Completion Progress block will work for specific activities using their own account.
The following image shows a Completion Progress block which is currently monitoring seven activities and resources. The optional tick and cross icons have been turned on, as has the optional progress percentage. The instructor has tested the monitoring of two activities/resources successfully (blue bars, with ticks), and missed the deadline to test two activities/resources (red bars, with crosses). The red bars were grey until the deadline was passed, as shown by the progression of the NOW icon.
Clicking on the "Overview of students" button will take the instructor to a page where they can see the progress of all students within the course. The instructor can filter the list using the role dropdown, for example if they wanted to see the progress of their grading tutors marking the grading for a specific assignment as being complete.