What is curriculum mapping?
Curriculum mapping is a planning tool and a process for identifying, designing, monitoring, evaluating and controlling the balance and the relationships between parts of a program and the courses that make up the program.
What are some of the major roles of curriculum mapping
Curriculum mapping can:
Curriculum mapping can:
Where is the relevant UNSW information on curriculum mapping?
UNSW Program Design Procedure, paragraph 1.2. The Integrated Curriculum Framework and curriculum mapping states that all programs will maintain a (curriculum) map, which demonstrates alignment between ICF elements.
Key references in developing curriculum maps at UNSW
- Program Design and Delivery Policy
- UNSW Program Design Procedure
- UNSW Integrated Curriculum Framework (ICF)
- UNSW Learning Outcomes, writing learning outcomes and examples of good learning outcomes
- Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF)
- Tertiary Education Quality Standards Agency (TEQSA) Higher Education Threshold Standards
Review professional accreditation and discipline requirements and benchmarks (where appropriate)
Further information on curriculum mapping, please contact Professor Bob Fox, PVC(E), email@example.com.
PLOs mapped to AQF qualification specifications. UNSW Arts and Social Sciences.
PLOs mapped to AQF qualification specifications. UNSW Business
PLOs mapped to UNSW’s Graduate Capabilities, UNSW Built Environment.
PLOs mapped to accreditation body, Engineers Australia competencies. UNSW Canberra at ADFA.
Extracted program and course information from AIMS with additional information in an online mapping system, CMAP, to enable monitoring program/course alignment with the professional accreditation body, Engineers Australia competencies. UNSW Engineering
Phases 1-3 of the PLOs within a program, enabling students to see their progression. PLOs are cumulative, so that once developed they are expected to be refined and exercised in subsequent phases. UNSW Medicine.
Mapping program distinctiveness to PLOs. UNSW Arts and Social Sciences.
Sample Curriculum Mapping Template
Sample Curriculum Mapping
Sample Core Course
Sample Elective course
Sample Assessments linked to CLOs and PLOs
Core Course - Program Learning Outcomes & Course Learning Outcomes (PLOs/CLOs)
Core Course - Program Learning Outcomes, Course Learning Outcomes (PLOs/CLOs) and Assessments
Word Curriculum Maping Template - Download Link
Excel Curriculum Mapping Template - Download Link
The Connections Seminar series and the annual Learning and Teaching Forum provide platforms for UNSW staff to explore different aspects of learning and teaching, share ideas and get feedback on practice and research.
Recordings and presentations can be found on the respective Moodle course sites (self-enrolment key provided)
- 2018 Learning and Teaching Forum on October 26, 2018: A teaching community driving curriculum innovation at Art & Design presented by Ms Fiona Nicolson and Mr Douglas Schofield, Faculty of Art & Design (self-enrolment key: lntforum)
- Connections Seminar on November 19, 2018: Why Curriculum Map? Examples from 3 Faculties presented by Professor Bob Fox, Curriculum Academic Lead, Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Education), Professor Gary Velan, Senior Vice Dean (Education), UNSW Medicine, Mr Paul Macmullen, Senior Learning & Teaching Advisor, UNSW Business School and Dr Ray Eaton, Associate Dean (Education), UNSW Engineering (self-enrolment key: unswconnections)