Media Comments allow comments and likes to be added to audio, video and image files in Moodle Media Collections and theBox. With audio and video files, comments can be added to specific points in the media item's timeline.
Different comment types allow you to control who sees your comments. This includes the whole course, just you or a person you send feedback to and you.
The media display interface displays media files, comments and provides a visual summary of general and timeline comments. Comments can be created, edited, deleted, searched and filtered.
Media display interface
- Media display section: Media files are displayed here. Audio/video files can be played.
- Timeline section: A timeline displaying the comments that were made during the media.
- Comments section: Comments are displayed, edited, and deleted in this section.
- Comment button: Make a comment in the text box then click on the comment button to submit the comment.
- Timeline comment: Make a comment at a specific part of the media by clicking the tick box, and setting a time during the audio/video.
- Comment filter: Select which comment type you want to view.
- Download comments: This button creates and downloads a .csv file of the comments. Only comments that are currently visible are included in this file.
Comments and likes are enabled in the Moodle Media Collection activity by default. Instructors can disable comments and/or likes in the activity settings.
- Turn editing on
- Click on the edit setings icon next to the Media Collection activity
- In General settings go to the drop down menu next to Allow comments and/or Allow likes and change the setting to No
- Scroll to the Gallery default settings, select if you would like to enable or disable Public (World) Comments
- Click Save and return to course
General Comments are attached to each media file and do not refer to a particular part of that file. General Comments can be used in many ways.
Example uses of General Comments include:
- The owner can provide information about their file to other users who view the file
- The owner can provide information or a reflection about their file to an Instructor who is grading their work
- Instructors can provide general feedback about a file to the owner
- Users who view the file can comment about the whole file as part of a class activity
- Users who view the file can make personal comments about the file for their own study or revision purposes
Timeline comments are attached to a particular point in an audio or video file. Timeline Comments can be used in many way.
Example uses of Timeline Comments include:
- The owner can provide information about a particular part of their audio or video file to other users who view the file
- The owner can provide information or a reflection relating to a particular part of their audio or video file to an Instructor who is grading their work
- Instructors can provide specific feedback about a particular point on the timeline to the owner
- Users who view the file can comment about the file at a particular point on the timeline as part of a class activity
- Users who view the file can make personal comments about the file at a particular point on the timeline for their own study or revision purposes
There four types of comments:
- Course Comments - can be seen by all participants in a Moodle course.
- Private Feedback - can only be seen by the owner or owners of the video who is receiving the feedback from the person making the comment. The person making the comment will also be able to see their comment and the owner will be able to reply to them privately.
- Personal Comments - are private to the person making the comment. Personal comments are usually used to make private notes on an important file or highlight an important point in an audio or video file to assist revision.
- Public (World) Comments - are similar to Course Comments but will allow comments to be visible on any web site using embed codes. In Moodle, this type of comment is disabled by default and can only be enabled on General Collections.
Each type of comment can be made as either a general or a timeline comment if the media item is a video or audio file.
Editing a comment
- In the comment window below your media item you can edit a comment by clicking the button next to the comment and selecting Edit.
- Edit your comment and click Save.
Deleting a comment
- In the comment window below your media item you can delete a comment by clicking the button next to the comment and selecting Remove.
- The comment will be removed and replaced with the text Deleted.
Note: The Deleted text will be removed when the page is refreshed.
Replying to a comment
- In the comment window below your media item you can reply to a comment by clicking the button next to the comment and selecting Reply.
- Type your reply and the click Save.
- Your reply will appear indented under the original comment