This page tells you how to view all students in a course and see what activities they've participated in. It also instructs you in messaging, emailing and posting to a specific group of students, and configuring how you will receive messages in return.
Step by step instructions
Step by step instructions
- View a list of all students in a course
- View enrolled users
- View a history of student activity
- View all your messages
- Message an individual using the Online Users block
- Message selected participant/s from the Participants list
- Send a group message/email
- Group filter options
- Send an email to Moodle Course participants
- Post to a specific group in a 'separate groups' forum
- Configure your message notifications
- In the Navigation block, under My courses > [course name], click Participants. A list of all course participants displays.
- Depending on the settings, you may need to click Show all at the bottom left of the page to view all the course participants or group members.
- Filter the list by either:
- selecting the desired participants (e.g. Student) from the Current role drop-down list, or
- (if you are using groups in your course) selecting the relevant group from the groups drop-down list. A list of the group members displays.
- Below the list, click Select all or select individual students' check boxes, and from the Choose drop-down list, select:
- Send a message to open a page where you can enter a message, remove participants from the recipients list, preview and (in the preview page) send the message.
- Send an email (commas separator) to send an email with your email client. Email addresses will be separated using a comma.
- Send an email (semi-colon separator) to send an email with your client. Email addresses will be separated by a semi-colon.
- Add a new note to open a page where you can add personal, course or site-specific notes for your own reference against, for example, individual students' names.
- Add a common note to open a page where you can add a personal, course or site-specific note that applies to all participants on the list, or to selected users.
- Download as CSV to export the filtered list as a CSV file to your computer.
For easy access to the Participants list, add the People block to the course home page:
- In the course home page, in the Settings block, under Course administration, select Users, then Enrolled users.
- In the Enrolled users page, all enrolled users display. By default, only active students will display. To view suspended users (any students who have been suspended but not unenrolled) You can identify these users by removing the Status: Active filter.
- In the Settings block, under Course administration > Reports, select the report you want to view—for example, Logs.
- The resulting page will be different depending on which report type you selected. If you selected Logs, select report parameters from the drop-down lists, then click Get these logs.
To see all the messages you have exchanged with your Moodle contacts:
- On either the Moodle My home page or any course home page, on the top right, click the drop down beside your name.
- Click Messages, to open your messaging page.
- On the All messages page, to view an individual message in the list, click the link the appropriate section and select a user to view message history. You may also search for a conversion using the search bar.
If a tutor or student is online at the same time as you are, you can message them using the Online users block.
- Does the Online users block display on the My home/course home page?
- If yes, continue to the next step.
- If no:
- Click the button Customise this page or Turn editing on at the top right of the page.
- Scroll to the bottom of the block column. In the Add a block block, select Online users from the drop-down list.
- Click the user's name, then in their details page click Send a message, or
- Within the block, click the Send a message icon to the right of the user's name.
The Messages page will display.
- Enter your Message and click the plane icon to send it.
You can send messages within Moodle that will be delivered to the individual/s or groups you select from the course participant list. Follow these steps to send a message to one or more participants:
- Within the course, in the Navigation block, select Participants. The participants list displays.
- In the First name/Surname column, click the name of the individual you want to email. Their individual page displays.
- Click message icon beside their name.
- In the Select column, select the check boxes for several participants you want to email.
- From the Choose... drop-down list below the participants list, select Send a message.
- On the Messages page, type your Message and click Send message (or Preview the group message, then click Send message).
From within Moodle, you can send a message to multiple selected students. If individual students are online, notification of the message will pop up on-screen; if they are offline, they will be sent an email offline—this will depend on their individual messaging settings (they control these at the following location: Settings block > My profile settings > Messaging).
If you want to email all (rather than selected) students in a course, you can do so using the Send email tool or post a message to the News/Announcements forum which is setup with forced subscription.
To send a message to a group that has been created within the course:
- In the Navigation block, select Participants. The participants list displays.
- From the drop-down list, search the group you want to email. (Note: the Separate groups drop-down list only displays if Separate groups has been selected as the group mode on the Edit course settings page.) The group list displays.
- At the bottom left of the list, click Select all. (You can also select individual group members to email.)
- From the Choose... drop-down list, click Send a message.
- On the Message course users page:
- Type your message in the Message body box.
- Below the box, click Send message to send the message.
Note that you can only perform these actions if Separate groups has been selected as the group mode on the Forum settings page.
- Within the forum, select the group from the All participants drop-down list at the top of the page.
- Click Add a new discussion topic.
- Complete the Your new discussion topic page and post the topic to the forum. Only the group you have selected will be able to view the post.
- On the forum page, the group at which a group-specific post was targeted displays in the Group column.
You can use the group sorting feature to sort students that by their group status.To use this:
In the Navigation block, select Participants. The participants list displays.
Search for the Group filter (Ensure you have at least one group already set up)
You can filter by Specific groups, Students with no group (search for 'no group'), or all participants.
How you and your course participants receive messages depends on how you configure your notification settings for messages. To configure them:
- On the top right, select the drop-down arrow beside your name and select preferences followed by message preferences.
- On the Configure notification methods for incoming messages page select and deselect checkboxes for the notifications you do and don't wish to receive. You can specify:
- which events you wish to be notified of (messages, forum posts etc.)
- different notifications depending on whether you're logged in to Moodle
- notification by popup
or email (note: Jabber messages are not yet enabled)
- which email address should be used for email notifications
- that you want a beep when popup notification is displayed
- that you want only be messaged by people on your contact list
- that you want to temporarily disable all notifications.
- Click Update profile.