Folders in Moodle work much like folders in other programs, as containers into which files (and other folders) are organised, so that hierarchical structures of information can be created and conceptualised.
This page instructs you how to create Moodle folders and put files in them, and how to organise existing folders.
When to use
Create a Folder resource when you want several related files to be accessible via a single course home page link.
Click here for information on how to upload a file.
Folders are containers into which you can place files and other folders, creating branched structures of information that help students conceptualise their learning.
Their main benefit in Moodle is to make several files accessible via a single link, thus keeping the course home page neat and comprehensible.
Step by step instructions
To create a folder and upload a file to the folder:
- Click Turn editing on at the top right of the page .
- In the appropriate section, click Add an activity or resource, select Folder in the activity chooser.
- On the Adding a new Folder page, enter a Name and a Description for the folder, and select the check box if you want to Display description on course page.
- Under Content, either:
- click Add to add files to this folder, or
- click Create folder to create a subfolder, name it and click OK, then click on the subfolder’s name to open it, and click Add to add files.
- To upload files to a folder/subfolder, in the File picker, click Upload a file, then:
- Click Browse.
- In the File Upload window, browse for the file, select it and click Open.
- Give it a Save as name by which you’ll recognise it in the repository.
- Change the Author name if necessary.
- Choose license as appropriate.
- Click Upload this file.
- Complete the other fields in the Adding a new Folder page as necessary, and click Save and return to course.
- On the course home page, click the appropriate folder name.
- On the folder’s content page, click Edit.
- On the editing page, you can:
- Add new files to the folder or Create folders as needed.
- Click the menu icon next to any folder to show a pop-up window by which to zip, rename, move or delete the folder.
- Right-click (or control + click on a Mac) any file to show a menu by which to download it, delete it or rename it (or its author).
- Click Save changes on the editing page .
- On the folder’s content page, click the appropriate breadcrumb to display the course home page.
If you want files within a folder to display in a particular order, name or rename them with the number order you want as the filename prefix:
If you experience technical or other issues, consult the Where to get help page.