Sometimes you want to allow students to choose which group they will join for group work purposes in Moodle. This page tells you how to create a Group Self-Selection activity, and how to change group memberships once students have made their selections.
Before you create a group self-selection activity, auto-create some groups within a grouping. Then return to this page to create the activity.
Step by step instructions
- On the course home page, click Turn editing on .
- In the appropriate section, click Add an activity or resource, select Group self-selection in the pop-up list and click Add.
- On the Adding a new Group self-selection page, under General:
- Enter a Name for the activity.
- Enter an Description, containing instructions for students.
- Apply any date restrictions on the selection.
- To limit group selection to a single grouping (e.g. the grouping you created before beginning this procedure), select that grouping's name from the Select groups from grouping drop-down list.
- Set the Min members per group and Max members per group.
- To limit the number of groups a student can participate in, set Maximum number of groups to participate in.
- Under General permissions, you can decide what permissions participants will have, such as being able to join, leave and create groups.
- To assign supervisors to groups, under the Miscellaneous settings there is a button to assign supervisors to groups and you can define the role for supervisors.
- Under Common module settings:
- Set the Availability: the activity can be hidden from students, shown on the course page, or hidden from the course page but still available to students.
- Select the appropriate Group mode. Separate groups keeps group activities private within each group; Visible groups allows groups to see each other's work.
- Set an ID number if you needed for mark calculation purposes.
- Click Add group/grouping access restriction to add an access restriction where the student needs to belong to the grouping to access the activity.
- Complete the Restrict access and Activity completion sections as relevant and click Save and display.
- On the activity's home page, click the Limits tab.
- On the Limits page, you can enter the maximum number of members on a per-group basis and then click Save changes.
To make changes to groups after students have made their selections:
- Click the link for the group self-selection activity.
- On the activity's home page, click Manage groups below the activity title.
- The Groups page displays, where you can add and remove users from groups, as well as
create, edit and delete groups.