IMS helps define technical standards for e-learning material. The IMS Content Packaging specification makes it possible to store chunks of material in a standard format that can be re-used in different systems without conversion.
You can upload and include such content packages in your Moodle courses.
This page provides upload and insertion instructions.
When to use
Use this procedure when you have a package of learning material configured to the IMS Content Packaging specification that you wish to include in your Moodle course.
With IMS content packages, you can export content from one learning content management system or digital repository and import it into another, without losing the metadata (content description, table of contents or other structure, viewing sequence). The IMS Content Packaging specification deals with the packaging and transport of resources, allowing the gathering, structuring and aggregation of content in an variety of formats.
This means that if you move from one institution to another, or you are using more than one LMS to deliver a generic element of your course, you can upload the same package to various sites without having to reconstruct it from scratch, and it will function as it should.
Step by step instructions
- On the course home page, click Turn editing on at the top right of the page .
- In the appropriate section, click Add a resource, scroll down and under RESOURCES select IMS content package from the drop-down list and click Add.
- On the Adding a new IMS content package page, enter a Name and a Description for the package.
- Under Content, eitherdrag and drop your IMS Content package into the box with the arrow or click the Choose a file to locate and add the package using the File picker, adding a file name, author name and license information in the selection pop-up window.
- Complete any other fields necessary and click Save and return to the course.
If you experience technical or other issues, consult the Where to get help page.