These instructions tell you how to link to resources on the course home page by:
- uploading a file from your local computer
- inserting an already uploaded file from the course server.
You should upload all files firstly to legacy course files, then add them to your course.
Step by step instructions
You can upload course files to two different locations in Moodle:
- the legacy course files area (where anyone with course access can see the files)
- your private files area (where only you can see the files) - for instructions on using this area, see the private files page.
Upload a file from your local computer to the Legacy course files page in the following way:
In the Settings block, under Course administration, does Legacy course files display?
If no, click Edit settings; On the Edit course settings page click Expand all.
Navigate to Legacy course files under Files and Uploads and change the option to Yes; click Save changes.
- Legacy course files link will now be displayed in the Settings block of your course. Click Legacy course files.
- On the Legacy course files page, click Edit legacy course files.
- Click the add files icon.
- In the File picker, click Upload a file and then click Choose file to select a file from a preferred storage.
- Complete necessary fields and click Upload this file.
The uploaded file displays on the Legacy course files page. Click Save changes.
To insert, into the current course, a file that has already been uploaded to Legacy course files:
- Turn editing on .
- Navigate to the section where the file will be uploaded and click Add an activity or resource.
- In the pop-up list generated, select File and click Add.
- On the Adding a new File page, enter a relevant Name, Description and chose if you want the description to be displayed on the course page.
- In the Select files field, click the add files icon.
- In the File picker, click Legacy course files and click the thumbnail of the file you want to insert.
- In the resulting window, select Create an alias/shortcut to the file, complete the other fields as necessary and click Select this file.The uploaded file displays on the Adding a new File page.
Expand the Appearance section and complete the fields as necessary (available fields will differ depending on the Display you select).
To ensure that students using mobile devices can view any PDF file you upload, select the Display option: In pop-up.
- Complete the other fields on the page as necessary, and click Save and return to course.