The Personalized Learning Designer (PLD) is a tool that lets you create events on Moodle when a certain condition is met. When created, you can attach these conditions to certain Moodle activities and cater to the diverse needs of every student. The PLD tool is designed exclusively for course instructors to bring inclusivity and personalization into the course content through actions such as sending emails or displaying alerts when a certain condition has been met.
There are many possible applications to involve the PLD tool in your courses. To name a few, the PLD tool can be used to create welcome messages when the course begins, create activity-based prompts for students, and to track the progress of each and every student enrolled in your course.
PLD works via user-assigned rules which are task dependent. Each rule consists of an event, condition and the action.
- Event: An event causes the rule to run.
- Condition: A condition causes the actions when the event occurs.
- Action: An action is the outcome of the event.
Use this tool to predefine the conditions to tailor them to match to your event and its applications.
Using the PLD tool is a great way to involve and monitor the progress of every student in your course. Benefits like welcome emails and popup messages enables you to make the course content more engaging and increase student involvement in the course.
- Login to your Moodle account, and navigate to the desired course.
- The PLD is found in the Settings block in the left-hand side of the page.
- In the PLD tool page, click Add a rule.
- Choose a name for the Rule, and specify the Event type and Activity type from the dropdown list. Click Add.
- Identify the Conditions associated with the necessary event. You can specify whether Any or All of these conditions must be fulfilled in order to prompt an action.
- Add the desired Action from the dropdown list. Click Add.
- Fill out the necessary details in the popup prompted, which depends on the type of action selected. For example, when the Go to URL is selected, the popup needs to be filled out with the desired URL. Save the rule by clicking on the Save button below.
- You can also view PLD history by switching from Rules to the History tab in the PLD bar. Apart from seeing a consolidated list in the Rules tab, you also have the option to delete, modify or disable any existing rules.The list of all the past rules in the course can be seen in the History tab.
You can also search for specific events by applying filters to your searches as well as see all the events using the Apply Filter and Show All button.