UNSW Lecture Recordings+ (Echo360/LR+) is an educational technology that supports engaged learning in lecture-based courses, flipped classrooms, blended or fully online courses.
Your lecture will be automatically scheduled and recorded if it is:
- In an Echo Enabled Venue. A list of Echo Enabled Venues can be found here.
- Within Weeks 1-10 of term (Weeks 1-12 of semester for UNSW Canberra)
- Setup as Lecture or Seminar component in Timetabling
The recording starts at 5 minutes past and concludes at 5 minutes before hour. For example lecture running from 9am to 11am will be recorded from 9:05am to 10:55am.
Note: Tutorials, Laboratories and other timetabled events are not recorded. If you wish to record them, see instructions below.
1. Request an unscheduled recording
If you wish to have non-standard weeks (such as week 0 or 11) or ad-hoc special events recorded, please:
2. Opt out of lecture recording
If you do not wish your timetabled lectures to be recorded, please:
As the recordings are not shared on Moodle automatically, we highly recommend that you do not opt out and consider the following instead:
Warning: It is possible to delete the recording at a later date but deleting a recording will delete all associated student data. These cannot be recovered.
When teaching in an Echo Enabled venue, the recording starts and stops seamlessly in the background. Note the following:
- 5+5 minutes gap: Leave a five-minute gap at the start and end of your lecture for students to arrive/leave the venue and make their next class. This time period is not recorded.
- Teaching materials: Ensure that any teaching materials that you wish to be recorded are displayed via the venue primary projector. Alternative video inputs such as the document camera or personal device can also be recorded in this way.
- Clear voice: Keep close to the podium microphone, or wear the lapel microphone, to ensure that your voice is picked up clearly. If you wish to obtain a wireless microphone, please contact your venue support team first.
- Private conversations: We strongly recommend leaving the podium area before having a private conversation with any individuals in order to protect your privacy.
If you have any question about physical venue issue or need some assistance, please contact venue support x54888 (CATS AV).
Instructions --- using projectors
Select a projector screen to be recorded
- Connect the laptop to the lectern using the cable provided.
- On the lectern touchscreen, tap the System On button. The system will take 20 seconds or so to power on.
- On the main menu screen, select the appropriate input (e.g. Internal Computer).
- When prompted to select a projector:
- If you are in any venue other than CLB7, select Projector 1.
- If you are in CLB7, select Projector 2.
Freeze Lecture Recording
The mute button freezes both audio and video in CATS venues.
- From the touchscreen main menu, select Lecture Capture.
- On the Lecture Capture Menu Screen, tap Mute.
- The red light on the lectern will begin to blink and the message Lecture Capture Muted will display.
- Tap Resume to turn muting off and resume the lecture recording.
Note: In some lecture recording venus, there is a Lumens Document Camera which allows you to project information onto the screen by placing an object (such as a textbook) under the camera lens and will also be recorded. To get more information, please go to Lumens Document Camera User Guide page.
To share your lecture recordings, please follow the steps:
1. In your Moodle course page, click Turn editing on located on the top right corner:
2. Click Add an activity or resource in the desired section
3. Choose UNSW Lecture Recordings+ activity and click Add.
4. Name the activity (e.g. ARTS1234 Echo recording), click 'save and display' and 'open in new window' to launch Echo360/LR+:
5. You will be directed to the below page that shows the courses you have access to:
- Choose the course that you wish to share. Please make sure you choose the current term
- If the course does not appear on the list, click 'Link a different section' to select your course
Here is the term code rules:
6. Link content:
- If you want to share the entire class list, click Link to the Section Home and Link Content. Your future lecture recordings will become available to students automatically.
- If you want to share a single lecture recording only, click Link to a classroom, select the specific recording, and click Link Content.
Note: In this way, you could share one lecture per week in this manner, but students can also use the navigation to access other recordings using Echo's navigation within that section.
A step by step video guide:
Publishing lecture recordings from the previous term to your Moodle course.
You can share your past lecture recordings with other instructors or other courses using the Echo Library. It is particularly useful when a lecture cannot occur due to public holiday or illness, you can still share a comparable lecture from previous term to replace it.
Please follow the steps below to create a duplicate copy of a past recording and safely share in another/future courses.
- Navigate to the My Content section by logging into Echo360.
- Select a recording that you want to re-publish and click on the menu button.
- Click on More Actions and then Make A Copy.
- Click on the duplicated recording to open it
- In the 'Info' tab, change the Share Settings to share the recording to a Class or Individual. To share the recording to a course, click Add To a Class in the 'Classes' section.
- Choose the course (e.g. COMP9024) and Section (e.g. 2019 Summer Lecture A). Note that you can only publish one recording at a time. Fill in the details and click Share when you finish.