The aim of peer review observation is to demonstrate effective teaching practice in relation to the Dimensions of Teaching.
Peer review of teaching is being introduced to UNSW as a means to provide evidence of teaching practice for academic staff members applying for an individual UNSW Vice-Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence and/or academic promotion (excluding research only academics). For academic promotion, this applies to staff who are applying under an education focussed path or a combined teaching and research path.
- In 2018, peer review will be a requirement for staff applying for an individual Vice-Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence; and
- In 2019, peer review will be a requirement for staff applying for academic promotion (excluding research only academics).
The process of peer review is identical for applications for an individual Vice-Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence and academic promotion and the same Peer Review Reports can be used for both applications. Peer review is only one element of a Vice-Chancellor's Award for Teaching Excellence and / or academic promotion application. Peer Review Reports are valid for two years from the date of the peer review.
Peer review of teaching will consist of an observation by two peer reviewers whom are academics with a track record of achievements in learning and teaching from Schools, Faculties, the Teaching Academy or the Office of the Pro Vice-Chancellor (Education). All peer reviewers have attended peer review training to meet the requirements of this role.
Applicants can select to be peer reviewed in one of the following:
- A face-to-face teaching session (up to two hours' duration)
- A synchronous online teaching session (up to two hours' duration)
- Asynchronous online course activity (up to two hours' duration)
All applicants are required to attend an Information session to learn about the process. Peer review dates are available on the timeline.
Registrations for 2018
Here you can find information on:
Documents for download
Template for Individual Teaching Award and Academic Promotion Applications
Word.doc, 1.3mb, 6 pages
Rejoinder for Teaching Award and Academic Promotion Applications
Word.doc, 1.2mb, 2 pages